We often hear the myth that is vegetarian or vegan diet cannot fulfill the optimum protein requirements of a human body. We have also heard of whey protein, which is a non-vegan protein sourced from a cow, and is obtained during the cheese making process by separating liquid from curdled milk. While meat and diary are sources of high protein, the methods of farming them are highly unsustainable to the planet. They are highly polluting, are at the risk of zoonotic diseases and generate high quantities of waste. So what is a sustainable, natural, effective and rich source of protein?
Plant Based Protein : Kanji
4 ways to use Kanji powder
Kanji is an ancient Indian recipes. If you grew up in India, chances are your dadi, nani and parents have made you drink kanji powder at least once in your life. The truth is, this protein packed powder is amazing for your gut health. It is rich in fibre with ingredients like Ragi, Jawar and Buckwheat. Overall, this powder is your 10 minute way of looking after your gut health everyday. So, without further ado, let’s get into the 4 ways we can make the Navdhaniya Kanji Podi.
Recipe 1 : Protein Packed Kanji Milk
- Kanji Podi
- Honey/ Jaggery/ Brown Sugar
- Take 1 tbsp of Kanji Powder.
- Add 1/2 glass of water and heat the mixture.
- Stir well.
- Once the mix comes to a boil, add 1 cup of milk.
- Let it come to a boil.
- Once done, strain the milk and add honey/ jaggery/brown sugar depending on the level of sweetness you enjoy.
- Serve hot.
Recipe 2 : Protein packed Buttermilk
- Kanji Paste (leftover from straining)
- Dhaniya (coriander)
- Put the Kanji Paste in a glass.
- Add buttermilk ( 1 glass)
- Add Jeera and Dhaniya.
- Serve cold!
Recipe 3 : Healthy Chilla
- Kanji Powder
- Curd (15grams)
- Green Chilli
- Curry Leaves
- Leftover Kanji Paste (Optional)
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above to a vessel.
- Mix all the ingredients together. If the batter is very dry, add buttermilk in proportion.
- Oil the tawa/ pan.
- Spread the batter out (make a hole in the middle)
- Serve hot with any podi/ chutney.
Recipe 4 : Protein Packed Roti
- Wheat Flour ( 1 cup)
- Kanji Powder ( 1 spoon)
- Leftover Kanji Paste (optional)
- Add all ingredients mentioned above together.
- Knead the dough.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Make a protein packed roti!
- Add organic Ghee on top.
- Serve hot!