WHAT ARE BENEFITS OF ABHYANGA MASSAGE?
Ayurvedic self massage techniques
Abhyanga is a traditional Ayurvedic self massage technique that is known to detoxify the body, tone the muscles and improve blood circulation. Mentioned as part of the Dinacharya, or ideal daily routine, it should be practiced every alternate day for good health.
Abhyanga is practiced by applying warm oil, preferably coconut or sesame oil all over the body. Using the right kind of oil ensures benefits like reduced pigmentation, body toning, deep exfoliation and a relaxed state of mind. It increases moisture in the skin, improves texture of skin and improves flexibility of joints and muscles.
By applying pressure to certain points on the body, Abhyanga helps relax muscle tissue, reduce soreness and alleviate painful joints. A study has found that a 10-minute muscle massage all over the body can reduce soreness by 30%. Warm oil is the main ingredient of this practice and when combined with the correct strokes— visible reduction in fine lines, wrinkles, crow’s feet etc. are noticed on the face and neck.
Every single day, or atleast 3 times a week to see results. Just before you shower, spend just ten minutes, sit down quietly and massage your body with any natural massage oil that suits you.
To do the Abhyanga massage, practice the following steps:
- You will need a natural massage oil, like Anahata’s Lavender Grapeseed Oil (that helps in cellulite reduction).
- Heat the oil till its luke-warm by double boiling it. Heating the oil ensures optimal therapeutic benefits. If you cannot heat the oil, it is still beneficial to practice Abhyanga with a natural massage oil.
- Apply the oil over your neck, shoulder, arms, fingers, stomach, lower back, thighs, calves and feet, in that order. Use upward strokes and circular motion to massage the oil into the skin.
- Once you have applied the oil all over the body, spend 5 minutes to massage pressure points on your palm, feet, navel and shoulders in the clockwise direction. Leave the oil for 15 minutes and let the body soak it in.
- Wash off with luke-warm water. You can use a natural scrub or ubtan to remove any oiliness. Anahata’s Snanamrit bathing powder, is infused with healing herbs, pulses, and flowers. It smoothens the skin, reduces inflammation, and keeps the skin blemish-free, elastic, and young. An excellent alternative to soaps and body wash, this Ubtan Powder is a fully organic mixture, that nourishes and cleanses the body.
- Practice every alternate day to build bone strength, increase immunity and get in touch with yourself.
Practicing Abhyanga is also a very peaceful and calming process for the mind. It allows us to connect with our body, where we can spend 15 minutes pampering ourselves. Studies have shown that it improves sleeping patterns, helps reduce stress and ensures deeper sleep. Since it is a natural therapy to warm up muscles, it also helps tone saggy muscles, even skin texture, prevent dryness of skin and give a natural glow to the body. Daily Abhyanga practice is guaranteed to help in balancing your doshas enhancing well-being and longevity. Our ancients compare Abhyanga to Sneha or love, because it is believed that the effects of Abhyanga are similar to receiving care and love.
Traditional ingredients in massage oils, like Anahata’s Rose and Almond Body Glow Oil, ensure a fragrant and nourishing experience. To better guide you on choosing the right massage oil, here are the various natural and chemical free massage oils we offer:
It is a hand-crushed blend of traditional herbs and roots, crafted for a soothing massage experience. Specially suited for dry and sensitive skin, its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties help treat skin infections, reduce inflammations and even out scars. Use this oil twice a week, for soft, nourished skin.
- Reduces inflammation
- Evens out scars
- Soothes skin infections
Lavender and Grape seed Body Massage Oil:
It is a hand-crushed blend of traditional herbs and roots, crafted for a soothing massage experience. This body massage oil helps increase blood circulation in the body, reduce inflammation and is guaranteed to reduce the appearance of cellulite and varicose veins.
- Increases blood circulation
- Reduces inflammation
- Reduces appearance of cellulite and varicose veins
- Reduces inflammation
- Decreases cellulite
- Anti-aging properties
- Nourishes skin
- Reduces fine lines
- Rejuvenates skin
- It is effective in instantly relieving all kinds of muscle pain, stiffness and spasms.
- Acute Muscle Pain, Body Tightness, Body Stress Relief